Monday 3 March 2008

The Escape of a Giraffe Accountant!




After seventeen years of working as a reluctant accountant at Storey & Tawle, Raffsburgh, I have today handed in my notice ...



I'm going to be an entrepreneur!

Maureen and I have been talking for quite some time about setting up a family business. It's just been a case of timing and coming up with the right idea.

(I'd actually come up with lots of ideas, but the family all called them 'eccentric schemes' or 'wild & wacky', and generally tied their necks in knots laughing).

This idea, however, is unanimously approved. We've decided to set up a small tours company, and we're calling it Giraffe World Tours.

I can't wait. No more sitting in a stuffy office all day, adding up other peoples' numbers. No more stooping over files and shuffling around musty old corridors. I'll be able to straighten my neck and look at the horizon ... gaze up at the stars! (Maureen'll be by my side to keep my feet on the ground).


There's just my notice to work here, and lots of preparation. We're going to buy a bigger house, with rooms for guests, and find a nice big bus for the Tours.

Doesn't it feel fantastic when you know it's the right time to stick your neck out for something you've always wanted!

6 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

I agree with you, and many others ought to.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Thank you Barbara - much appreciated!

Unknown said...

Hi Raph,

Well done to you for making the giant leap! Your first year - just imagine!

Lots of good wishes for the next year and many more to come.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Thank you Derrick! We've got lots of fun Tours planned for this year!

sandy said...

Wow, how brave and fun!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Sandy, thank you! I'm glad I stuck my neck out to follow my dreams!